This prototype is supported by
Select your operator:
What Is It?
To get home I use trains operated by two different companies and a
tube. Finding travel information is a bit of a nightmare. This solves
it. Just pick your operating companies/tube lines and press GO to see
them all on one page.
- Currently shows all problems for each operator - can't customise on a
line by line basis.
- BBC Travel tube feed is nowhere near as good as the TfL one - could
change to using Ben
Metcalfe's RSS feed scraped from TfL instead, once it's fixed.
When I say it's not very good, I haven't actually seen anything
reported in the feed for the tube in the first place!
- Operators list is handcoded and reliant on the operator names not
changing on the feed (and indeed me guessing some of them
- Easily done - cookie to save your fave journey.
- Could use lattitude/longitude/gazetta to pinpoint areas
- 30 June 2005
- 'One Railway' has been appearing in the feed instead of the four 'One
whatever' details - as a hack, this is now listed seperatly. It's my
intention that it should be added to the different franchises
automatically - although in some circumstances it might not be
- 3 June 2005
- GNER renamed 'Great North Eastern Railway' because that's the phrase
the feed uses.
- Hull Trains added - got missed off because bbc.co.uk/travelnews
doesn't list it, although it does appear in the feed.
- Written in PHP with PHP XML.
- Why PHP XML? After all it's not particularly fancy or easy? But it
is installed both on this server and my ISP's server (where this script
might be moved to)
- I'll make the code available when it's in a decent state.